A carnivore is any animal that only eats the flesh of another animal. Carnivores needed to eat lots of meat to survive, and to get this meat they needed to be good hunters. Here are some of the methods that carnivores used to catch their prey.
Types of Carnivore
There are two main types of dinosaur carnivore:
Carnivore hunting methods
- Chase their prey and tear it apart (notably T-Rex and Gigantosaurus)
- Eat dead carcasses (scavenging) (probably all carnivores did this at some point or another)
- Ambush their prey using their camouflage (almost every predator)
- Attack their prey in packs to bring it down (notably Velociraptor and Deinonychus)
- Resort to cannibalism (notably Coelophysis)
Carnivore diets were very rich in nutrients from the flesh they ate, and they could easily go for weeks without food, unlike herbivores that needed to eat constantly.
Here are some carnivores that you should probably know of:
And a whole lot more!