An extinct class of elephants, mammoths belonged to a diverse and widespread group of mammals known as the proboscideans, characterized by long, trunk-like noses. Mammoths first appeared in Africa early in the Pleistocene Epoch (the last 1.6 million years of the Earth’s history) and later migrated to Europe, Siberia, and across to North America. Proboscideans were very widespread. Their fossil remains can be found on every continent except Australia and South America.
The genus Mammuthus includes a number of several species, of which the best known is the woolly mammoth.There are also the steppe mammoth,imperial mammoth, dwarf mammoths,columbian mammoth, songhua river mammoth and wrangel islands woolly mammoth.
Most mammoths became extinct around 10,000 years ago, surviving on Siberia’s Wrangel Island longer than anywhere else on earth. Radiocarbon dating indicates that a dwarf population existed there until between 7000 and 3,700 years ago.
- The characters Manny, Ellie and Peaches from the ice age series are Woolly Mammoths.
- It appears in Zoo Tycoon Dinosaur Digs.
- Woolly Mammoths and other species of mammoths are in many BBC documentaries including Walking with Beasts, Wild New World, and Monsters We Met.
- A Wooly Mammoth named Martha appears in the show Prehistoric Park.
- Some of the 2 Woolly Mammoths appeared in Animal Kaiser series.
- Mammoth Priest
- Demon Mammoth Gigantos
- In Pokemon series, Mammoswine is based on Mammoth.